Thursday, October 14, 2010

Exciting weekend ahead!

This weekend my husband and I will become godparents to a very special little boy. We will be baptizing my husbands 4 year old nephew on Saturday and I am so excited! It is an honor to be selected as a godparent because it means that the parents think highly of you and are entrusting you with helping them guide their child throughout life. In my culture it is a tradition for the godparents to purchase the gown that the child will wear during the baptism, as well as the candle, rosary, bible, shell for pouring water during baptism, remembrances (recuerdos) and to pay the church donation for the ceremony. Now, in my family the godparents also usually purchase a gold piece for the child whether it is a necklace with pendant, bracelet or earrings, and sometimes all three to be blessed during the ceremony, not sure if this is the case with all Hispanic Catholics? Lastly, the godparents usually give out a “bolo” which is a bunch of money (usually coins) thrown out at the children in attendance during the celebration, again, not sure if everyone does this or is it limited to certain cultures? I believe it is supposed to bring good luck to the child but not really sure how it originated. Most importantly, I enjoy these events because they are family oriented and they allow my children to learn from, and participate in the holy sacraments that take place in our family.

No comments: